GP2W: Dacusville Elementary School

"GP2W" stands for Great Place To Work.  The four characters serve as a reminder in communication among our staff of the culture of our district. Each week through the school year, our website will feature an article on one of our schools, departments, or people explaining how they make SDPC a Great Place To Work!

Robin Walsh.jpgby Robin Walsh, Principal

Recently, following an afternoon professional development session, I asked the faculty of Dacusville Elementary School to respond to the question, "What makes our school a great place to work?" Their responses, written on small blue slips of paper, sit on my desk. I often look at these papers, reflecting on the affirmations of what makes our school a home. Responses include the words "comradery", "caring", "supportive", "cooperative", "welcoming", "friendly", "positive", "dedicated", "warm", "genuine", and "loving." My favorite statement simply says, "We're family."

Families are proud of each other. Last spring, we held a celebration to honor our 2014-15 Teacher of the Year, TOY and SEOY DES small.jpgAnna Nichols, and our Support Employee of the Year, Kim Hager. Mrs. Nichols is a kindergarten teacher. Patience personified, she helps our youngest students develop a love for learning that will last a lifetime. Mrs. Hager, our data entry clerk, was selected as a finalist for SDPC's Support Employee of the Year. Even in the most hectic situations, Mrs. Hager never misses an opportunity to connect with and support others. We are blessed to work alongside Mrs. Nichols and Mrs. Hager.

Families watch out for each other. Over the summer, a parent in the community, Kristopher Clark, approached the school with an idea to implement Watch DOGS (Dads of Great Students) at Dacusville Elementary School. Participating fathers (or father-figures) undergo specialized training and background checks. On October 6, the Watch DOGS program was launched with a "Dad and Kid Pizza Night." The DOGS volunteer to mentor students and they can be found connecting with students at lunch, assisting in the car rider line, greeting guests, or helping out in the classrooms. The response to this program has been phenomenal, and we look forward to continued success!

DES Color Run 2014.png Families have fun with each other. Dacusville Elementary is a happy place, and we strive to make events fun for the students. Earlier this month, the school hosted the second annual "Dolphin Color Splash Run" in which participants are drenched in color while racing each other. We host Family Movie Nights in the cafeteria. We plan celebrations that promote the consistent use of Lifelong Guidelines and Lifeskills such as Wacky Tacky Day and music videos at lunch. We aren't afraid to laugh with our students because we know it's those little moments that make memories, and their time with us is all too brief.

At Dacusville Elementary, we are a family. Together, we serve the children of Dacusville. Together, we strive daily to make our school a happy place where all are learning.